To be considered for assistance, innocent people in Washington State who are wrongfully serving time in prison must meet the following criteria:
- Be wrongfully convicted of a state or federal felony crime in Washington State.
- No longer have a right to appointed counsel.
- Be unable to afford counsel.
- Have completed their direct appeals process.
- Have a claim of actual innocence that can be proven through DNA testing or other newly discovered evidence.
- Have no involvement in the crime whatsoever. We do not take cases where the claim is an affirmative defense, such as consensual sex, self-defense, or accidental death.